Friday, June 26, 2009

First Officers Log: Day 3, TCB!

Day 3: Taking Care of Business


Last night was the first night I really slept since I left. It may have been because I stayed up till 2 or because I was actually in a comfortable bed with ac. Woke up 6:00 am est to a continental breakfast at the Best Western. I had a waffle and it was just like the ones we had in the dorms freshman year (slightly rubbery but hit the spot.) It was down I-40 for a good 6 hours toward Memphis this morning. I slept most of the way while the Old Man drove. When I finally woke up it was because Pappy was yelling, “Dammit he got me!” He had passed a Statie going 84 mph in a 70. Oh well that’s that's happens when your driving cross-country and you have a lead foot. The cop was intense; he looked like he was in full military uniform. Guns, straps, and cop accessories all over with an olive drab jumpsuit underneath.

Regardless of the morning today was going to be a good day. Why is that you ask, well its cause my favorite Sister-in-Law (Kathy) was able to score us free passes to all that Graceland has to offer!!! (Thanks Kathy) We got in about noontime and saw all aspects of the King’s Life, from his Jungle room, to the peacock sta9ined glass windows, to his collection of cars. I especially Liked the Cadillac's. It was a blast, and best of all it was free! Both Pappy and I had on of the Kings favorite meals for lunch, Meatloaf! It was pretty good.


After soaking up the King for a good chunk of the day we moved on down to Memphis to go tour the Gibson guitar factory. The best part of this was that I haven’t seen Lucille (my Gibson Les Paul) in days and I missed her. I spent a good half hour playing with all the guitars in the show room and wanted them all for my own. The tour itself was ok but both Pappy and I wished there was more technical information, and no one was working in the factory when we got there so we really didn’t get the full experience..

After the factory we stopped on Beale St in down town Memphis to have a Beale Big Ass Beer and listen to some blues. The singer was a vivacious southern black woman and I think she hit on the Old Man a bit. I couldn’t stop laughing! Her name was Ms. Zeno “The Louisiana Mojo Queen” and I have an autographed and freshly kissed picture of her.
After we finished our beers it was of to BB Kings for some more music and dinner. Dinner was good and so was the music. I had some pulled pork and it was so much better that anything I’ve had outside of Little Richard’s in Winston-Salem, NC.

Now I have a little trivia question for y’all. (Uncle Alex this is epically for you from the Old Man.) What does the BB stand for in BB King? Now we are on the honor system here so no Internet searching it, but the first one to comment with the correct answer will get a special prize from yours truly!

Its off on the road again across the might Mississippi to Arkansas and the Blytheville Super 8 for the evening! I hope the hotel is half as good as last night. Also the Mississippi smells like catfish!

"No bacon for breakfast makes Frank an unhappy man."



An addition to yesterdays post: Farrah I miss you already!



PS I apologize for all spelling and grammar mistakes (both past, present and future.) I went to school for photography not writing people, so get over it.



Don’t forget to stop in and see what the Mighty Jedi Master Yoda has been up to.
Click the image below to see more.


5 comments:

  1. Ashley doesn't like not getting bacon in the morning either! I'm really to click on Yoda to see the magical Mojo Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blues Boy you bone head..
    And I got a suprise for YOU as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should we point out that you only have one sister-in-law. We could also point out that your brother is still looking for one????

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm an "old" school friend of "the old man." I love your journal! Fabulous opportunity for you guys. And tell "the old man" to ease up on the foot or he'll have to go to traffic school and they probably won't allow Yoda in to help him. Regards and keep having fun.
    Debra (Vellanti) Billy

    ReplyDelete
  5. don't forget the rest ... Beale Street Blues Boy ...

    ReplyDelete