Tuesday, June 30, 2009

First Officers Log: Day 6, Where is Route 66?

Day 6: Where is Route 66?




It seems like the earlier I try to get to sleep the later I actually do. We are at state of perpetual motion. Now I know how Memom must fee! Woke up at 7:15 am cst for another continental breakfast. No waffles today, what a bummer. The name of today’s game was lets find Route 66. It wasn’t something we really did on purpose. We rode along I-40 for a good chunk of the day, which parallels Rt 66 for the most part. The thing was that every time we pulled of the Interstate to find Rt 66 again we ended up going 10 miles out of the way, and never found 66. Despite a few minor troubles we did stick to 66 for a while hitting various road museums and small towns. I stopped a lot more today to take pictures of the towns we passed through. There were two Route 66 History Museums, which gave a good telling of how the road came to be and how it came to pass. I never realized that the road was decommissioned in the 70’s when the interstates became more abundant.



We hit a few Indian trading posts where I picked up a few things. My personal favorite was the rattlesnake eggs. I hope they don’t get too hot in the car and hatch!!!
When we hit Texas we stopped at the Devil’s Rope Museum, which was a museum devoted to the history of barbed wire. Sound’s boring right, but it was not! I picked up a few pieces of vintage barbed wire and we went on down the road. After lunch it was more Route 66 and beautiful views. We tried to go to the midway cafĂ© for a soda in the late afternoon but it was closed. I was bummed about that but it was nice to at least stop there. We did get to stop at Cadillac Ranch, which I though would be bigger, but still really cool. They have a row of old Cadillac’s buried in the ground and they are all spray-painted by people who stop there. Our last stop was at our second world biggest attraction. The largest cross in the western hemisphere. It was huge, and surrounded by the Stations of the Cross.







Now one thing I’ve been seeing is an abundance of wind farms. They are kind of cool despite what people say about the view I kind of like them. The one thing Pappy said people complain about the most is the noise they make. When we pulled off at a rest stop I walked up to one and I was able to hear the whooshing sound it made. Now even if you put 50 of those things 5 feet from my head it would still be quieter than the bar across the street from my apartment in Brooklyn, so WTF people shut up already!



That’s it for today, its an overnight in New Mexico at the Econo Lodge and then up at sunrise for some great views in the morning.



PS It just rained here and there is this awesome double rainbow in the sky. That's number one Ally! (Technically its two but whatever.)


Don't forget to stop by and see what Yoda has been up to. Click the image below.

4 comments:

  1. rainbooooooooooooows!!

    also, i have about 75 pictures of that giant cross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean like WOW a rainbow ....
    WOW another cool windmill

    WOW I can't take the intensity of it all

    Someone PLEASE get me some no doze..
    What happened to the humor and sarcasm?
    Did it get lost on RT.66?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree the Williamsburg crappy bands across the street are way louder than any windmill.

    I love that the Rainbow is surrounding a Denny's haha.

    ReplyDelete