Saturday, July 4, 2009

First Officers Log: Day 8, Standing on the Corner in Winslow Arizona

Day 8: Standing on the Corner in Winslow Arizona



The Old Man tried to wake me up yet again for sunrise this morning. If you know me and have ever tried to wake me up at the crack of dawn then you will know this is not an easy task. When I am trying to sleep I have this uncanny ability to muster up all the dark forces of the universe and use them to put a Vader style force choke on your ass. If it is not apparent to you at this point I did not wake up. By about 6:15 am mdt I gathered the strength to get up and take a shower. We packed up the car after and headed away from Grant, NM down the road to find us some grub.

Breakfast was at one of about a million Indian roadside stops. After we ate and I was well caffeinated we move down the road towards Arizona. As we drive the sky in the distance looks kind of foggy and we loose perspective not being able to tell if that’s clouds or just the top of a mountain. The day is an endless stream of National Parks. It reminds me of when I was just a youngling and the family flew to England to visit Pappy during spring break. We went to one after the other day after day till none of us could walk, and then we saw a few more. Same deal here but replace museums with National Parks. I won’t go into too much detail about the parks themselves because I feel the pictures speak more than I could ever say. Though I will say that The Painted Desert was my favorite so far. The landscape changes every few miles, and you see every color Crayola has ever made out there in the rock formations.








That's a piece of petrified wood in the foreground.

Saw our 3rd world largest, the largest piece of petrified wood. Its buried 6ft underground, and the pieces around it were all part of the same tree.


For lunch we stopped in Winslow Arizona, which is famous for nothing but the being mentioned in the Eagles song, “Take It Easy.” Its fascinating how these little towns really cash in on that sort of thing, and of course suckers like us eat that shit up. After Lunch we went to Sunset Crater. It was created by a volcanic eruption around 800 A.D. It was mostly a lot of black rocks.



Through our endless stretch of highway I see yet another sign for “Girls Ranch.” I am curious at to what the raise on “Girls Ranch.” I hope to God this is where they raise hot farm girls to send out to the big cities of the world, cause if so I am moving to Arizona!

Final destination is The
Grand Canyon, where we finally get to spend a few days outside of the car. The sight as we walk out to the edge is amazing. Thank the heavens, I've been dying in this heat and I think I’ve used about a gallon of sunscreen in this desert sun! There were a ton of people there all taking pictures next top this rickety old railing. I'm surprised more people don't die here!

Time for a beer at the edge of the canyon!!! I hope I don't fall in!



PS This is where we are staying.


Whats Yoda been up to you ask? Well click the image below to see.

1 comment: